Saturday 7 November 2015

It's been awhile...

since we had a chat because one way or another since I returned from Vietnam it has been a whirl of constant activity.  Most of this was orchestrated by myself, so really I can't complain, but really and truelly I am ready for a break.

So that's just what I am having - a week walking in and around Chania, Western Crete.  I know...more activity, but a change is as good as a rest, isn't it?

However not everyone is pleased and excited by this mini adventure, as you can see!


Magic cat spent the night asleep in the suitcase and wasn't too impressed when asked to leave her warm cosy nest at 2 am. But then I wasn't that keen on getting up at that hour either!

But here I am, with feet made for walking, not in those red suede pumps I hasten to add, but there will no doubt be a snap of the appropriate foot wear later.


One of the joys of small activity group holidays, I am finding, is the opportunity to taste food off the normal plate ( so to speak). However our impromptu lunch stop included a huge plate of Greek salad( which is always a guaranteed winner )


and a sea view


so can't really complain.  Oh, and the sun came out too, which is always a bonus at this time of the year.  I think this week looks set to be mild, dry and sunny, so ideal walking conditions I think.

We shall be based in the Venician part of Chania in Hotel Porto Veneziano. 



 Recently refurbished, I won't have far to fall if I roll the wrong way in the night...


But right now the prospect of a full nights sleep in a Japanese coco mat bed is really most delightful, as was the setting sun over the distant hills 



This evening Jonathan gave us a quick walking tour of old Chania on our way to dinner.  Although I have been here several times with Ken, Christopher and Alison, it has always been at the hight of summer.  So how delightful it is to stroll the ancient streets without the throng and bustle of holiday makers.


Many of the harbour front cafes and restaurants have closed for the winter months, but far from making the place seem sleepy there is a strong  feeling of reclamation by the locals, with whole families eating out together and groups of others playing chess, cards or back gammon.  Still mild enough to be outside, we explored the many tiny streets and alleys 

 



So many hidden gems,




which probably get overlooked on a busy summer's day.






Dinner was in an old converted retsina shop and was dish after dish after dish of delicious meze; who knew chestnuts could be made so delicious!




So now I am nicely tired so I should be ready for the first walk of the holiday.  Just hope it's stays mild and wet in the UK.  That's not me being selfish, but dad and I sewed grass seed yesterday evening and I'd like to think it would have a chance to grow a bit before winter sets in.








No comments:

Post a Comment