Sunday 17 May 2015

Phnom Penh

Cambodia is still recovering from the war and whilst the cities may be modern and new the infrastructure connecting them is more early C20 than C21, so I flew to the capital, Phnom Penh in 25 minutes rather than spend over 7 hours negotiating the rural roads!  

Once again I was met by a driver and guide and taken to my hotel, which is a 'mean' stones thow from the King's Palace.  So after a quick cup of tea and a cool down I headed off down the river promenade to see what I could see.

Somehow I don't think I'll be getting my Body Balance class to agree to a public display...


And further along I got to see what the capital's dogs are wearing this season.  At over 35C one could consider that a fur coat AND a t-shirt a tad over dressed, but I thought the matching leads were a nice touch.


Today is the last public celebration of the King's birthday, so many people were out helping him celebrate.  Actually I think it's just another excuse for a street picnic!


As always, the traffic was chaos and although there may be traffic laws, scant regard is made of them. The most I have seen at any one time balancing on a motorbike is mum, dad, two kids, a baby...and the family dog.  It wasn't even a big bike; but it was nice to see that the dad wore the helmet...
The strangest thing riding on a bike so far has been half a dozen dead chickens. But the guide has cheerfully assured me that in Saigon it's 'much worse'.  Can't wait.


Being a traveller is hungry work and so far I have enjoyed all the different Cambodian dishes I have tried, but I have yet to try street food,

 
 So after such a busy day, it was lovely to come back to the tranquillity of my hotel and have one of these before dinner 

 
and star light swim before bed.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment