Wednesday 20 May 2015

Ride every mountain: 60km

An early start so we could get some miles in before it become too hot.  


We left Mui Ne and headed north following the coast, long white beaches edged with palm trees and rolling sand dunes,


and the tiny coracle boats used by the local fishermen.


The going was good, with a sea breeze and rolling road.  We had a juice stop and watched the catch being landed 


before carrying on our way.  Wish we had had time to stop and take a swim...



Still I can't complain as we are very well looked after, just look how they line our bikes up ready for the next stage!


But I should have known better, because the morning got hotter and hotter and the road more and more undulating until it just became HILLS.  I thought I was going to die ( yes, really.  And I have paid to do this!!) I wasn't even able to take photographs, that's how tired I was, not the hills or the miles, but the heat.  The road was like a frying pan, so I was so glad when I made the stop and cold lemonade was waiting for me....and everyone else who had already been there twenty five minutes!  But I got a cheer and a round of aplause :-)

 
I could have used a rest in a hammock too, but we soon were on our way...


The roads are mostly straight, and from here there was a lot more going down than up - thankfully.  Surely after this Box Hill shouldn't be a problem??!


Alł day we were cycling thought fields, these are young dragon fruit bushes, which will be underplayed with fast growing ground nuts (peanuts to you and me - ready for the G&T).


These are more mature bushed,


And here are the flowers and fruit.


This is Lam at one of the local stalls buying dragon fruits for our lunch,

 
Whilst the rest of the time prepared the picnic lunch.  They have a portable stove, so whip up omelettes and noodles for us!


Thankfully the rest of the journey was done in the bus because now the route turned inland and we started to climb steeply into the mountains to reach Dalat, a former French hill station known as Le Petit Paris.


There are a few remote villages perched on the mountain side.  The soil here is very red and the villages most work on the tea or coffee plantations which are cut into the mountain sides.


These villages are remote, with no mains supplies and the single switch- back road.  Thank goodness we have a good driver...


This family had a pot- bellied pig, who didn't appear to mind this sudden invasion of her grazing time.


Just look at their view! My photographs don't do it justice at all.


But when you are a child, all you want to do is fly your kite. 


The cooler mountain air ( lows of 15C and highs of about 25C) make it perfect for growning tea


and coffee.


When the coffee berries have ripened and turned red they will be carefully hand picked and sent off for roasting.
  

Evenly we reached Dalat, which looks more European than the other Vietnamese towns we have visited so far.  Good to see our hotel was looking forward to our visit,
 

And I couldn't wait to get a hot shower and cup of coffee!
 

Dinner was at a local restaurant downtown and the evening was rounded off with a stroll through the night market.  

 
The street food vendors were doing a brisk trade and everywhere there were women crocheting, jumpers, hats, scarves and toys.

 

60 km today, but 100km tomorrow, so I'd better turn my light out now, I feel shattered.
 

















2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a punishing schedule but you're still managing to do some sight-seeing, AND take some photos AND post on your blog!!! Fantastic stuff, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up on a weeks worth of blogs! Think the heat would get me too ... OK - and the hills 😉

    ReplyDelete